End of the Reign

9:58:00 PM ivannejuare 0 Comments

What would you feel when you lost a title? What would you feel when you've lost a titlle you've defended for so long?

I can't exactly contemplate what I felt when the news reached me. I felt angry, lonely, defeated.  That title. That damn title. 

When I was in highschool, and even in my elementary, nothing was more exciting than taking that qualifying quiz for the Metrobank MTAP Math Challenge. It started when I was in my 4th Grade. I really don't have any interest in math until then. In fact, I was just average. Then our math teacher asked the class to vote who would have the last spot for the competition. Turn out, my classmates favored me. And from then on, I started loving those complicated problems and mind cracking numbers. When I stepped into high school, my love grew even more. Thanks to my great and favorite teacher, JVP. But the climax wasn't until my 3rd and 4th year when I had to represent the school in the division. Perhaps, keeping the records was the greatest pressure I had in high school. For more than 5 years, OLGA had dominated the MTAP division: from individual and team eliminations to final team challenge. WE ALWAYS have the TOP SPOT. In the regionals, we are consistent in the 4th place. 

When asked who the prior year's champion was,people would often say, "OLGA eh, sino pa bi?" I find it funny when my batchmates-slash-competitors from other schools would say, "Oi. Pagapapirdi man bi kamo." Since Grade 4, my partner for the team finals was our class valedictorian, not until my 4th year. I know what people were thinking. I knew that at the back of their minds they have dounts of me and my friend Rizel's ability of defending the title. We almost lost in the division, almost won in the regionals, but nonetheless, we safeguarded the school and the prior batches' legacy.

Even when I entered college, I always see to it that I'm updated about the issue. When i read in the school paper, I just can't bring myself to absorb the lines. I reread it a few more times and finally got to digest it. Yes, they won. But it's not exactly what the school wanted, or at the least, what I wanted to hear or read. They ranked 2nd, not bad, but the school's no longer the defending champion. The legacy will forever be ended.

It may seem like not a big issue to most, but for those who have been part of the legacy, who successfully defended the title and labored hard to safeguard it, it's all a different issue. But what can we do? The damage has been done. All has ended. The reign has ended.